Collagen hydrolysate is the latest buzzword in the health and wellness community, but it can be difficult to separate the fact from fiction when it comes to diet and beauty fads. It’s been touted for everything from anti-aging to improved skin health, but what is collagen hydrolysate and is it worth the hype?
Find out all you need to know about the health benefits of collagen hydrolysate for your heart, brain, gut and overall wellness.
What is Collagen Hydrolysate?
Collagen is an insoluble protein that makes up one-third of the protein in our bodies and 70 percent of the protein in our skin. While collagen contains over 1,000 amino acids, the most important ones to note are proline, glycine and hydroxyproline, which are sorely lacking in the modern American diet.
Our bodies produce collagen on their own, but it slows with age and unhealthy habits like sun exposure, poor diet and smoking. Certain health conditions can also deplete collagen storage. Without the necessary amount of collagen, you may start to notice joint pain, wrinkles and sagging, among other health problems.
Collagen hydrolysate is a powdered form of collagen that is easier to digest and fast-absorbing, making it ideal for mixing into drinks and foods to boost nutrition.
Top 5 Benefits of Collagen Hydrolysate
- Joint Pain Relief: Cartilage deteriorates with age, leading to stiff, aching joints. Collagen hydrolysate supplementation can slow joint deterioration in individuals with arthritis and relieve some of the stiffness associated with age.
- Reversal of Aging: Most people are familiar with collagen as an anti-aging treatment, though it’s common use as a topical skin care treatment negates its benefits. In order for collagen to reverse aging, it needs to be absorbed internally. Over time, collagen can replace the natural collagen lost in the body and improve skin smoothness and elasticity.
- Build Muscle and Reduce Fat: Collagen is a component of muscle tissue, so it plays a significant role in building muscle. It also has high concentrations of glycine, which is used to produce creatine and provide fuel for muscles during workouts. More muscle mass means a higher metabolism as well, which can help you lose fat.
- Minimize the Appearance of Cellulite: Cellulite is a layer of fat that pushes through the connective tissue, causing a dimpled appearance. While it has no health effects, it can be unsightly. Since collagen improves the elasticity of the skin and the health of connective tissue, it can help to tighten up the skin and minimize the appearance of cellulite.
- Improve Gut Health: Conditions like leaky gut and inflammatory bowel disease can cause digestive distress and nutrient deficiencies. Collagen occurs naturally in the gut’s tissue and works to strengthen the protective lining of the digestive tract, so supplementing with collagen can help with these conditions.
Get Your Collagen with Paleo Power Balls
If you’re looking for a delicious way to incorporate more collagen hydrolysate into your diet and reap the benefits of this remarkable protein, Paleo Power Balls from Paleo Angel are perfect for you. Made with collagen protein, Paleo Power Balls are a delicious, all-natural, portable snack that’s Paleo and AIP compliant, ensuring you get the nutrients you need throughout the day. Shop our variety of Paleo Power Ball flavors or contact us to learn more!